Monday, December 20, 2010

Holi-bread

So today I decided to get a little more in the holiday spirit by making some Holiday Bread (aka- Holi-bread) that I grew up helping to make and enjoy.  My Auntie made this every year when I was growing up, and I so enjoyed helping her in the kitchen, with Christmas instrumental music playing on cassette tape (and then cd) in the background, candles going, and great company. And a lot of laughter.  I don't have time to list the whole recipe, but it is not unlike this one here:

 http://www.suite101.com/content/christmas-bread-a36562


You can keep or lose the inner and outer sweetness, but don't forget those cherries!  I remember as kids my friend and I taking freshly baked loafs wrapped neatly and tight, tied with raffia bows to their neighbors houses on cold winter nights. I have more memories like these than I can count, but every one of them means more to me that I could ever tell.

3 comments:

  1. Ok Jenn..if I beg and plead will you send a loaf to the Philippines? haha looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have similar memories of making sugar cookies, peanut butter cups and other candies and taking them around to neighbors, family and friends. We'd listen to different Christmas CD's and bake away. It's been fun to do the same with my girls now and Reagan finally is interested in helping measure and mix, so they both can help out. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Carl- Ha ha! I'd love to! Don't know if it'd make it there in one piece, but I can always try!! :)

    @ Sara- What wonderful memories, that sounds like so much fun! Hope you take lots of pictures, I wish I had back then!

    ReplyDelete