Monday, January 24, 2011

Big Love


What can I say, I am a die-hard Big Love fan. I mean beyond the average, "yeah, that's a great show."  No.  I am crazy in love with this show.
 I really can't explain it, there is something so special about these characters, I feel so attached to them after following them for so many years, , their trials and tribulations. I can identify with them so much because though I am a Baha'i, I was raised primarily around LDS families. none of them were Polygamous, but many of the fundamental beliefs, mannerisms and traditions are what I grew up around for most of my life. In a weirdo way I feel like I know these people.
Now it is the final season, and I can't take it- it's heartbreaking. I think I could have handled it better if they'd ended things last year, it was pure chaos. Truly a mess, the whole season was.  It was such a mess, in fact, that it almost caused me to forget the family I'd fallen in love with in the first place. They were so different and less than delightfully bizarre.

 But not any more.

Finally, FINALLY they have come back. Almost like a long lost friend, here are my Hendricksons , the writers brought them back to life and back to the original meaning of the show. Family and love. That's what it has always been about, until the drama became more important for whatever reason, be it ratings, keeping up with True Blood, I don't know what happened. Over the years, the episodes took place less and less inside any of their homes, and more everywhere else imaginable. But so far, in the two incredible episodes that we've had in this our parting season, I see how they have brought them back to the core principle (pardon the pun) of Big Love- the family. My major was in Family Studies and dynamics, so I have a strong interest in these issues of family in all shapes and forms. I am absolutely fascinated with this show, it has opened my eyes to a lot of things I'd never thought about or considered before. That is the mark of a wonderful program, and one that I wish more than anything would stay. I know there is no changing that fact that this is the last season for Big Love.... but for now all I can do is just love it and look forward to every Sunday I have with them. Boy, am I going to miss it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen..I have to say I am a Big Love fan as well! i cannot get it here in the Philippines so it looks like I will miss the final season..a bummer for me! Your iste looks great! nice job..
    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. just an amazing show! and an amazing last season. Big love has ever been a great series, and i'll regret it because big love talked about family, lobe, anger. Big love doesn't nly focus on polygamous, it focus on life. I watch Big love Online

    ReplyDelete