Friday, September 24, 2010

Greatest living actors, and sadly, one who isn't....

I thought tonight I would put down here in my writings my thoughts on a few of my favorite actors. I'm not talking about any of these young kids out there in Hollywood who got lucky in a few good films. I'm talking about a few individuals whose performances took my breath away. I think it is safe to say they are my favorite performers of all time, and of course in my opinion they deserve to be everyone's favorites.... but alas, I can only speak for myself....



First and foremost, above and beyond any other living actor today, Sir Anthony Hopkins is without a doubt the most gifted that I have ever seen on film.  Truly, I could listen to him read the phonebook and be happy. I had a dream once, several years ago, that he and I were friends. It sounds like it would have been bizarre, I know. But it wasn't.  There I was, a young woman in my late 20's, and Hopkins, (who knows how old he was in my dream at the time), and we were almost like best friends! We hung out watching t.v. and I remember in one part, I was jotting down notes while he spoke to me about his life, acting, traveling the world. And we were walking through this dilapidated old manor of some kind, and laughing together like we'd known each other forever. Strange, but it was a really nice dream. It actually made me appreciate him that much more, how crazy is that?    Anyway, for a million and a half reasons, he's made the top of my list. From of course "Silence"  to "Magic".... he is just amazing.


Tom Hanks is a truly brilliant actor- he is simply so far beyond almost everybody out there making movies these days. He holds his own in anything he has ever done, save for maybe one or two back in the 80's, and even those my husband thinks are hysterical!  He moves me in some way in every movie I have ever seen him in. I just adore him, he's is an awesome actor in every single way, and I truly hope he doesn't retire any time... well, ever.


Morgan Freeman.  I cannot say it enough, the man is an absolutely incredible actor.... beyond words.  I love his voice, it is calming and commanding at the same time. And seriously, he has had me crying or laughing in anything I've ever seen of his.... he evokes such intense emotion with me, it is rare that I experience that so consistently.    Well, he and the next man on my list....



Clint Eastwood.   I just adore him, he is intense, funny, and he can break your heart all in the same film. I never was a fan of Westerns, but his performances are nothing short of phenomenal, and I just think so highly of him as an actor. He is a man's man, strong and intense and real.  He also has a soft side that comes through in his acting. He is wonderful. And he reminds me of my Dad.


The one man that I could not have this list without is unfortunately no longer with us. He is tied, in my heart, with Hopkins for this list. I am enamoured with this actor, he is my all time favorite ever....

                   Jimmy Stewart. 










 


There is no other actor out there as talented, creative, moving and funny as he.  I am so sad that he passed before making more and more movies for us to love. He was not only a great actor, but he was a great man.  He is the one person in history next to Martin Luther King, Jr. whom I would jump at the chance to go back in time to meet and say thank you.  And maybe give him a hug.   :)
What a cool guy!  I don't know what got into me tonight to make this list, but I thought I should share it with the world. I'd love to hear if any one agrees or disagrees with me.  Or has anyone they want to add to a new open list of favorites!  I'm all ears....    :)

1 comment:

  1. You have excellent taste Jen ! All are artists in the true sence of the word..By the way..Your site looks great and I like your diversity..:)Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete