Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A little Blue

I don't know how much longer we have here in Alabama, and it's making me a bit sad today. I know, I know- I go on and on about being ready to leave, get outta here and away from the heat and the bugs and move up where it's cooler and I get all my four seasons. It's all true. But even still, on nights like tonight when it is cool, you can hear all those ornery bugs singing to us and the moon and stars are bright, the thought of leaving here, where we've made so many memories, brings a tightness to my chest. I had my first home as a married woman, my first dog who was all my own, my first duty station.... I had my first child here. I made friends here whom I hope to be life-long. And it is all these memories, coupled with the ambiance of quaint, southern charm and quiet country living that make me start wishing the Army will forget all about us, forget we're still here and then we can stay and maybe have more babies here, make more friends, more memories ....



I'd have to say, one of my all-time best memories of living here (and boy, there are many, many to choose from), was last Halloween. Troy and I took Colten trick or treating for the first time. Troy's parents stayed behind at the house to hand out candy and we, along with a mom and her two kids across the way, all walked around our neighborhood to git some candy. We strolled from house to house, the night was getting darker and darker as we were nearing the end of the evening, and we went down a darker street by a house that was known for their holiday spirit. We took pictures with them, gathered our candy and started for home. But this particular house, well they always did go all out- they had a fog machine to add to the haunted effect of their house and ghostly decorations out front. We walked away from the house and back up the street for home, farther and farther away we got and we were caught in darkness. The only light was from the moon above. We rounded the last curve of the road lined with trees, and we were then surrounded with swirling fog. It twisted and curled at our feet, and lurked up the rest of the street, down other roads and curves way off into the distance. It was everywhere we looked, and lit up by the moonlight- it was like we were in a living ghost story.    


That was by far one of the coolest Halloween memories I have ever had. I don't know if that particular family is still here, but so help me, if they are, (and we are) this Halloween, I'll be right there again with my little boy, husband and puppy in tow, ready to feel a little haunted once again.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot imagine military life. At all. I am so entrenched in having my people close by that it baffles my mind to imagine moving all the time.

    May the next station be just as special to you as this one was and may you make many friends who touch your heart.

    ReplyDelete