Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Past Lives


I wonder if there is some merit to the idea of past lives. I think about it alot, and in the religious sense, I'm just not sure where I stand on it,. But in a personal sense, sometimes I just really feel completely as if I can remember living life in a simpler time. Even as I am writing this I feel ridiculous. But truly, there are parts of me that feel like I was born in the wrong time period. I'm not a modern person, about the most "modern" thing about me is my cell phone. Maybe my laptop, and cable.  But everything from my feelings on simpler living, utilizing candlelight and oil lamps whenever possible because it feels more natural to me, to drooling over wood furniture, wood floors,wood and stone houses, little wooden toys, wooden utensils, home decorations, handmade pottery and wrought iron cookware. Handmade quilts on beds and fireplaces in bedrooms..... gosh, the list just goes on and on. I don't know exactly where I'd fit- 1800's maybe? But then there's the music, clothes, hair, cars and mannerisms of the early 1900's that get me too!  I feel like a tourist sometimes when I'm at the mall or in a public place where I see those who definitely fit in the 2000's, absolutely. And I worry for my children. I don't want them be bombarded with the often ugliness of today's culture. I wish I could raise them in a more quiet place.



My husband feels the same way about himself as well. And we both don't really like where culture is headed. It seems girls are growing up so much faster now than we did when we were young. They know about so many things that I just didn't, and frankly had no interest in whatsoever. I occupied my time on having fun with my friends and enjoying life, instead of the things that in my opinion are distorting ,like MTV and the E! channel. They glorify stupidity and "prostitution" and then, in turn, so do many of their viewers. Scares the ever livin' out of me. I apologise if I've offended anyone out there, I don't mean to. I just feel like a lot of things today have gotten really, really out of hand and we're so used to it that we just let things go that are not good for our children to have paraded in front of their faces every time they turn on the television. Whatever- I guess it is what it is, and to fight it is futile. But if I could raise my family out in the country, somewhere quiet and friendly, maybe a little old-school in it's personality, why.... I think we'd fit in just fine.

Painting by John Feight

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen..thanks for sending me your link..Your new site looks good! nice job already..:) I think what your saying is true..It seems each generation feels simularly maybe because of changed preception or priorities as we grow and learn...a more mature value system the natrual need to send the littles one down the "right" road..All these good things and more I think causes these feelings but it is ok..We will teach our children to behave honestly and with integerty, and to encourge the development of self esteem and to love...all this inspite of everything that whirls arounds us. :) Always keep your chin up. :)
    Take good care and stay in touch..
    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen...I really like your music!!

    ReplyDelete